I have decided to delay my upcoming round the world trip for 1 year. I was planning on leaving around October/November of 2012, but that date has been moved to 2013. The main and only reason is my job.
My employer have known since the middle of 2011 that I was leaving at the end of 2012. Back in January 2012 they told me that they could offer me shares of the company if I decided to stay longer. At the time, I was so determined to leave this year that I didn’t really consider the offer. Later on in March, they reiterated the offer and this time I gave it some real hard thought. One of my concerns about going on a multi-year trip is the balancing between short and long term goals. And while I would never give up travelling for even the best job in the world (and how could it be the best job if it doesn’t allow travelling?), I was worried about coming home after the trip with almost an empty bank account and start anew.
After a couple of sleepless nights thinking about the pros and cons, I decided to stay at my job for 1 extra year. Logically, because of the offer they gave me, I think it was a no-brainer. Emotionally, however, I had this disgusting feeling inside me, almost like I had betrayed myself. I had structured almost every aspect of my life to make the trip happen this year, and now I was suddenly not leaving anymore.
Time have passed since March, and I’m very at peace now with the decision I’ve made. In the grand scheme of things, a 1 year delay doesn’t really make that much of a difference, but I know I made the best career and financial decision. I’m at an age now (34) where I can’t just plan month-to-month, even year-to-year. Although the company is not guaranteed to succeed, I know that not accepting the offer would have constantly bothered me while travelling. It would have been one of those “could have’s, should have’s”.
The paperwork for the offer is still being finalized right now, that is the reason why I haven’t been updating my blog with RTW stuff. There was uncertainty for a while and I still wasn’t sure if I would leave this year or the next. Things are looking good now, but worst case scenario, I still leave for the RTW this year.
In the meantime, I have planned a special trip to temporarily quench my wanderlust. More details about it the next post.